Monday, February 7, 2011

Menu Plan Monday -7 February 2011

 

For months now, or so it seems, we've been seeing commercials for the movie Tangled.  Grandma and I took her yesterday to go and see it, boy I wish I had looked it up on the internet first.  The commercial make it seem like any other 'princess' move, i.e., suitable for my Ella.  I didn't realize it was PG.  Ella spent half the movie hiding her eyes in Grandma's arm or sitting on my lap sobbing.  And she wasn't the only one (Momma included).  It eventually had a happy ending, but was much sadder/darker than necessary.  Definitely more of a 'tween' movie.

On a happier note, the Pioneer Woman meatballs were delicious.  The recipe made way more than would fit in my pan so put the extras into some spaghetti sauce.

Annual pork meeting this week and I need to start on the costumes for Ella's dance class.  Still trying to get last year's records all back on the computer too.

Monday:
French toast
stew -oven kind so it can cook while we're at dance

Tuesday:
autumn chowder
cheeseburgers -Ella's choice

Wednesday:
chili
leftover stew

Thursday:
wieners and beans
l/o burgers

Friday:
??
l/o stew

Saturday:
French onion soup and macaroni and cheese
sausages of some kind

Sunday:
??
bbq ribs
Head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie for more great ideas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We stay away from the movie theatre unless we have really done the research- even then we will screen some potential DVD's before we show them. It's a amazing at what they hide within these, seemingly innocent movies!

Question: Where do you get your meats other than pork? Do you buy from a local farmers?

Paula said...

Yes, Momma dropped the ball with the movie. The commercial made it look like any other 'princess'-type movie. My biggest beef was that it was such a chop job of the original. I never would have dreamed it was pg and would be so sad! I will definitely watch that more closely in future. At least Ella didn't have any nightmares last night.

Where do I buy other meat? Most of my chicken (whole) come from a neighbour. But I will buy them on sale from the grocery store too. Chicken parts usually come from Walmart because the No Frills ones often have ice crystals and I don't believe in re-freezing poultry. Beef for the most part I buy from our butcher (i.e., local), that way it just goes on Colin's pig processing bills and the money doesn't come out of my grocery fund (don't tell Colin). I will usually buy steak from Walmart because I can't afford the butcher price. And I love when Metro puts prime rib on for $3.99/lb -that's the price I pay for a regular roast!

I would never pay 'organic' price. There is just no need when you buy meat from a small farmer. The 'regular' guy can't afford to put all the 'extras' into their animals like the large feed lots. Most small guys raise animals the way they have always been raised. I love buying local chicken because they are 6lbs +.